Thursday, December 3, 2009

Comcast aims to reshape entertainment with NBC | Comcast.net



The article, courtesy of COMCAST.net, concerns the proposed takeover of NBC by COMCAST. If that does occur COMCAST would be a cable company that controls one of the Big Four networks and several cable networks, but a movie studio as well. To take it a step further, I'm typing this entry using an internet connection from COMCAST...the landline phone? That's from COMCAST as well. NEWSCORP...Disney...Viacom...COMCAST. Ladies and gents, meet the new "Big Four".


READ MORE....from| Comcast.net

2 comments:

Sue said...

My only fear is Comcast taking MSNBC off basic cable, I can't afford all that other crap and I can't exist without my MSNBC!!

Hugh Jee From Jersey said...

Sue- I don't think that would be good business for Comcast in Comcast homes. I could see them moving some of their interests to lower end of the dial (ie, in the New York area using channel 8 for MSNBC, channel 10 for CNBC, channel 12 for ShopNBC), and bumping competitors (Fox News, Fox Business, QVC, HSN) down to the other end (200 or further down). My brother had a cable system in Ohio with a majority ownership by Liberty Media- they made sure to have QVC placed on channel 3 with the Big Four Networks....BTW, QVC's majority owner is Liberty Media.

It will be interesting to see how other cable systems like Cablevision and Time-Warner are going to react to this. In those situations there could be a turf war, or even withholding of certain channels unless network demands are met. I'm curious to see what the outcome will be.

Related Posts with Thumbnails