Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Twitterisms



Was IT Something I Said Coach? Some interesting goings on in the wonderful world of TWITTER. Lately we've heard stories about athletes who end up getting in hot water because of some of the things they've been TWEETING to their followers. According to today's print edition of the STAR-LEDGER (Newark, NJ) one of the latest is New York Jets wide receiver David Clowney who tweeted the following after the Jets 24-17 win over the Patriots in the season's second game-
"1 play in the 1st Half, 4 plays in the second half... a bit disappointed about my playing time but very happy and satisfied about the win"

Then he went on-
"My team always come first so I'ma just keep grinding"

To make a long story short, Jets head coach Rex Ryan was not amused. He called Clowney into his office last week and told him he would be inactive for Sunday's game with the Tennessee Titans. Here's more from the Star Ledger's Dave Hutchinson

Also in the STAR-LEDGER, in the margin under TWEETING- Texas Tech head coach Mike Leach has banned his players from having TWITTER accounts. A player had TWEETED that Leach had been late for a team meeting. What follows is the account of what happened as it appears in the STAR-LEDGER's print edition.

"According to the Lubbock Avalanche-Journal, Marlon Williams asked on his Twitter feed why he was still in a meeting room when "the head coach can't even be on time". That tweet has been deleted. Offensive lineman Brandon Carter also had a Twitter account. After the loss to the (Houston) Cougars he tweeted "This is not how I saw our season". Carter was indefinitely suspended on Sunday for violating team rules unrelated to his Twitter page, and his Twitter page was nowhere to be found".

are you talkin' to me? Are You Talkin' To ME??? I've been following the tweets of Newark's mayor Cory Booker for several months now, I've always been interested in his opinions and his goings on as the mayor of New Jersey's largest city. Mayor Booker has more than 778,000 followers, and he follows 14,700 plus on Twitter. Yesterday I saw that he started following my tweets, which was a big surprise. I gave him a direct message telling him how honored I felt that he would take the time to follow my..."stuff".

But yesterday I was knocked out to get a return direct message from the Mayor around lunchtime. "Love your Jersey and Rutgers pride. Thank you! Cory"

Wow! Now that guy is cool.

Bye the way...if you want to join Mayor Booker and some other folks who for seem reason want to follow my tweets, I can be found at Hugh_Jee on Twitter.

He Even Tweets Funny John Cleese has always made me laugh going back to his days with Monty Python's Flying Circus. And like the tag line says, he's funny -even in 140 characters or less. Here's a sample.

"I've been busy preparing my new show. It requires focus, concentration, and what was the other thing again... ?'

"Dear Twittering Twats, and Twattering Twats... I'm now in sunny Norway, eating herring, and Fleskedupp..."

"I'm sorry, I meant to say Twittering Twits, and Twattering Twats... a slip of the pen... I mean keyboard (or whatever this typing thing is)."

"I have decided to kill myself on my 70th birthday. I will donate my vital organs, and lush hair to the Smithsonian, and the British Library."

Click here for more tweets from John Cleese.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails