Saturday, May 9, 2009

My Barry Humphries Column- Why? Because TWITTER Says So!



A few minutes ago I checked my TWITTER page to see what the trending topics were- that's usually a good place to start if you're experiencing any kind of writer's block and need a dose of inspiration. I saw much of what I expected...STAR TREK, WOLVERINE, "Happy Mother's Day", and RIP CHUCK DALY....the former coach of the Detroit Pistons, and of the original US "Dream Team" has died.

And then I saw the name "Barry Humphries". I asked "why is he a trending topic?". HE MUST HAVE DIED TOO.

For those of you who don't know, Barry Humphries is an Australian comedian, actor, and satirist who's most famous creation is the hilarious DAME EDNA EVERAGE. Dame Edna might be the most famous character in the history of Australian comedy, and has a cult following in many parts of the world, including the United States.

Any way...if Barry Humphries is NOT dead, and he hasn't done anything like wrestle a crocodile or rob a freight train, then why is he a trending topic on TWITTER?

Well here's what happened....about one hour ago (shortly before 11am EDT) British actor-comedian asked this question to his 482,801 followers on TWITTER...

"And who deserves to be a trending topic on Twitter more than Barry Humphries?"


And since then, its been trending....page upon page...its unbelievable! Don't these people have anything to do on a Saturday afternoon?

I guess not....and TWITTER, despite what some detractors say, is not a waste of time. If it wasn't for TWITTER I'd still never know who the hell Stephen Fry is!

And it did give me something to write about.

I'll be back...with "topics of substance- well, maybe"...later on.

Ciao!

1 comment:

coffee fan said...

it seems like there have been so many big sports figures passing on lately, tragic

Related Posts with Thumbnails