Sunday, May 3, 2009

Machiavelli, Bing, Pete, The Godfather......and Me.



On this date in 1469 Niccolo Machiavelli was born in Florence, Italy. For the sake of expediency, I won't be typing his full name again- its too long, and I'll probably mess it up somewhere down the road. He'll be just plain old "Nick" for my purposes.

Anyway, Nick was a famous Renaissance philosopher, author and thinker who's most remembered his work Il Principe (The Prince), which is often used as an example of the use of sometimes devious methods to maintain order in the realm, and protect the ruler or rulers, all in the interest of the common good. Humanists and the Roman Catholic Church both condemned the work when it was written..... but the Church did employ Nick's principles in the Inquisition, and centuries later humanists adopted the same to justify the excesses of the French Revolution.

He gave us the term Machiavellian, for better or worse.

This mini- history lesson from me does serve a purpose. Also born on May 3 were Christopher Cross, Bing Crosby, Frankie Valli, Pete Seeger, Golda Meir, Sugar Ray Robinson, Doug Henning, and The Godfather of Soul, James Brown.

Oh yeah...I was born on May 3rd as well.

I know...this was a stupid exercise meant to say "Happy Birthday" to myself. But you kept on reading....didn't you?

How old am I today. Old.

But not nearly as old as Nick would have been today.

And I'm taking the rest of the day off. And Happy Birthday to everyone else celebrating one today!

Ciao!!!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails