Tuesday, April 7, 2009

UCONN Wins Championship- Go 39-0



Well.....so much for my prognostications.

On Sunday I predicted it would be Oklahoma and Stanford playing tonight for the NCAA women's basketball championship...

So rather than say something inane and make excuses, I won't...I was wrong.

And congratulations to the UCONN Huskies in winning their sixth national championship, going undefeated, 39-0, the third perfect season they've had. Tonight they dominated the overmatched Louisville Cardinals 76-54, with Tina Charles leading the way with 25 points and 19 rebounds.

The stats and other post mortem items may be found here.

OK....this was one of the greatest teams of all time, Renee Montgomery, Maya Moore, and Tina Charles are the best players at their positions, and Geno Auriemma is the best coach in the game....

There ...I said it.

And I'm a Rutgers guy....and watching tonight's game was about as painful for me as watching the election returns in 1984 when I was working for the Mondale campaign...and almost as uncompetitive.

So congratulations, Huskie Nation...I'm going to drain a few tears in my beer(s).

BTW....the men's tournament? I got that one wrong, too!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails